Re: Is there any use for the 'char' stencil command?

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Is there any use for the 'char' stencil command?
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 20:27:10 +0200

Am Sonntag, dem 27.06.2021 um 20:11 +0200 schrieb Knut Petersen:
> Hi everybody!
>
> We have a stencil command 'char'.  Normally grep is a good friend, but
> grepping for 'char' gives a looong list of possible matches even if you
> add some restrictions ;-))
>
> So I decided to try a brutal search method and changed the current
> definition of 'char' to
>
>    (define (char font i) (ly:error (_ "Unsupported stencil command
> 'char'")))
>
> in scm/output-ps.scm. But 'make doc' succeeded. So it's clear that we
> do not use the 'char' stencil command during the generation of all our
> docs. Otoh we certainly do not exercise every possible code path during
> 'make doc'.
>
> Is the char stencil really an unused artifact that might be removed or
> did I overlook something?

I tried a bit of archeology and searching 'git log -p' for "char" (with
quotation marks) leads to the following commits:
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/commit/c5d9ef8c7eaed663fabcd70742ba7a0e56cb337b
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/commit/e2c7a2ab964d7ab2b4d993634303327adf5e39f2
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/commit/9505acaaf90190158f6b66b59da13db1454cddc4

So yes, probably unused.