Re: Mailing list for translations

From: Jean Abou Samra
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 17:53:05 +0200

Le 22/06/2021 à 17:32, Federico Bruni a écrit :
Il giorno mar 22 giu 2021 alle 10:45:17 +0200, Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> ha scritto:
Moreover, as Valentin, the administrator of lilynet.net,
is (currently) inactive as a developer, I think we should
strive to move discussions to mailing lists hosted by
gnu.org, which is proven to have long-term reliability
without requiring maintenance on our side. What should
we pick, lilypond-devel or a new mailing list? I lean
towards moving everything on lilypond-devel, because we
already have many communication channels compared to the
size of the development community (lilypond-devel,
bug-lilypond, issues, merge requests). Questions about
the workflow are also important for developers, and
build issues affect everyone of course. Individual
translators can always be CCed in a particular thread
if needed.

I agree with you.
The traffic on translations@ has been very very low for some years.
In the last years it was used mainly by the catalan translator to share patch files to be verified and applied. Now this moved to Gitlab MR...

OTOH a translator might not be interested to be subscribed to lilypond-devel.
But as you say translators can be CCed when needed.

Yes. And on GitLab, if this turned out to be a significant
problem, we could also add a "Translation" label, and
let translators use the "Subscribe to label" feature.

https://about.gitlab.com/blog/2016/04/13/feature-highlight-subscribe-to-label/

How many active translators we have currently?
I'm quite inactive :-)

Jean-Charles is active. We also have a newbie:

https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/668

Advertising translation tasks might be a good idea,
because I haven't seen a translation patch for any
other language in the past months.

Cheers,
Jean