Re: MIDI time signature

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: MIDI time signature
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2021 13:07:46 +0200

Jürgen Reuter <reuter_j@web.de> writes:

>    Hi David,
>
>    in case you or someone else is going to refactor the time signature
>    code, please also consider the discussion that we already had about
>    this topic in May 2002.  See here:
>
>    https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2002-05/msg00088.html
>
>    The suggested syntax as of then would have known the difference between
>    6/8 (=3+3 8th) versus 3/4 (=2+2+2 8th) thanks to the prolatio property.

I read

    Prolatio:
    ---------
    This number defines into how many minimas a semibrevis devides.
    Valid values are 2 (prolatio minor), which is the current behaviour of
    lilypond, and 3 (prolatio major), which has to be implemented.  This
    affects (at least) bar checks, note spacing, and midi performance.

That is waaaaaaay out of scope of what I am trying to address and would
require a much more invasive redesign of LilyPond's note values in order
to facilitate more natural mensural notation entry.

I think that the way to work mensural timing at least with LilyPond's
current design is rather relying on scaled durations for note entry,
thus making things fit manually.