libtool

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH in wrapper scripts

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH in wrapper scripts
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 09:01:38 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 21 Aug 2021, Oleg Smolsky wrote:

So, if libtool does not believe that /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu is in
the default search path, it adds it.

Right, and my compiler is in /opt/gcc-11/ and so that addition to
LD_LIBRARY_PATH is wrong. The system's compiler is older than what we use
and the forced (older )version of libstdc++ breaks the executable.

You should talk to the person who built and installed this compiler. I recollect that it was you. :-)

Does

  gcc -print-search-dirs

produce correct/useful output for your compiler?

If the system's 'ldconfig' is not aware of your compiler's library installation, then the system will search the normal places for the libraries unless you add an -rpath option to the build.

Of course if ldconfig is aware of your compiler's library installation then that causes problems if you are using multiple compilers.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/