Re: Latex freedom issues

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Latex freedom issues
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 02:22:20 +0300

* hi@ypei.me <hi@ypei.me> [2021-06-29 01:10]:

> 29 Jun 2021 05:04:45 Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>:
>
> > It is also not a distribution for the world, it is distribution for
> > developed world like Western countries.
>
> Why?

In developed countries Internet is cheap and then user can afford all
the downloads by Guix.

> > Further it is questionable if
> > Guix can ever comply to GPL requirements as it was not designed for
> > that, I think nobody of developers have ever bothered even to read the
> > GPL requirements. Issues are raised elsewhere. Example is that
> > published software packages don't have their corresponding sources.
>
> Can you give an example of a package in guix that does not have its
> corresponding source?

Your question does not relate to what I said. I did not say that
package does not have corresponding source. I said that GPL
requirements are not met.

I will give you exact examples though I would like to know if you have
read the GPL and if you have ever try to comply to it?

Let me give you example:

Find in the GPL3 following text:

,----
| Regardless of what server hosts the Corresponding Source, you remain
| obligated to ensure that it is available for as long as needed to
| satisfy these requirements.
`----

and research. Guix is not fullfiling that requirement, not that I
know, and that is not the only one. But they should have find a way to
comply to it, including to GPL2 and GPL3.

Why you think that there are all previous versions of GNU software on
GNU servers? To ensure that it is available for as long as needed.

Imagine now if you take software which is GPL3 and you distribute
it. You have to ensure it is available for as long as needed. Though
it is not well defined "for as long as needed". But you cannot just
ensure that by pointing out to third party servers. You would need to
have a copy in case third party server goes down so that you can still
point out and make sure it is available for as long as needed.

Now think of the Guix packages, are they available through URL?
Somewhere they are. Can a user who does not have Guix get sources? It
should be clearly written in each package where is the source.

Further, Guix packages are often modified on the fly. It is
modification.

,----
`----

,----
|     b) The work must carry prominent notices stating that it is
|     released under this License and any conditions added under section
`----

Is there prominent notice? It must be in the work. I have not seen so
far none.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns