Re: Sacrifices made for Free Software

From: Nicholas Johnson
Subject: Re: Sacrifices made for Free Software
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2020 03:32:00 -0500

Quiliro,
> Incredible story. I am really proud to hear stories from people that
> have stood up to the system, even at a high cost.
Thank you! I'm happy to inspire people.
> The best software engineer is not the one which knows more about
> software. Although knowing about software is very important, your boss
> or your customer would rather hire an honest person rather than a more
> capable one. So having values is a great asset you can put on your
> resume.
>
> More so, having free software experience gives you better knowledge and
> capability than with nonfree software. So it gives you adouble
> certification there. Much better than a college degree that every other
> Joe can get!

Only in retrospect did I realize how much I learned from being
challenged. I thought it was getting in the way of my learning, but
talking to professors and students about software freedom contributed to
a different kind of learning. I am better equipped now to promote free
software than I was before I started studying there. Every experience
can be a learning opportunity to draw upon.

I learned there are more and less useful ways to talk about free
software to people. Shaming is not a good way to discourage proprietary
software use, or promote free software. In fact, it's not a good way to
promote anything. There are more effective ways to talk to people about
it, especially depending on their level of computer understanding and
what that person values. I also learned what I'm willing to stand up for
and what lines I won't cross. During my time at SIUe, I was disappointed
I wasn't going to be able to continue studying there without losing my
freedom. But, through blogging, I'm seeing how facing challenges other
students didn't has given me useful experience to be more effective at
promoting free software.

> I suggest you write a letter to some media which the university student
> recruiters encounter. Mention thanking the university for putting to
> test your values and making you a better professional by exerting this
> type of pressure on you. I suggest you are very diplomatic so your voice
> is valued by people that might be interested in entering SIUe. Be sure
> to explain the issue in layman terms. This letter will prove very useful
> for advocacy of free software. Maybe it would even serve to market your
> availability for hiring!

That's a fantastic idea. I will see what I can do. Thank you for your
feedback!

- Nicholas Johnson