libredwg

Re: [libredwg] Responsible disclosure for bugs found in libredwg

From: Reini Urban
Subject: Re: [libredwg] Responsible disclosure for bugs found in libredwg
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 06:41:58 +0100

Thanks, I'll have a look.

Reini

Matteo Marini <m.marini@diag.uniroma1.it> schrieb am Mi., 20. Dez. 2023, 17:29:

Dear libredwg developers,

My name is Matteo Marini, I am a Ph.D. student from the Cybersecurity research group at the Department of Engineering in Computer Science at Sapienza University of Rome, Italy.

When running experiments for a project on memory safety errors, we believe we have found some bugs in libredwg involving the use of values read from uninitialized memory in program computations (e.g., when concurring to a branching condition or to a pointer dereferencing).

Due to the potential security relevance of such bugs, which unfortunately we were unable to assess with certainty, we are reaching out to you privately to initiate a responsible disclosure process rather than posting them as a GitHub issue. Typically, we follow established practices in our field and wait for 90 days before reporting specific features of our findings to the public.

The attached archive (password: cQv8$9k4) contains:

  • the executables on which we performed our tests (commit hash: 6b0eb53)

  • the input file to exercise the bugs

  • the stacktrace when the bugs were observed

  • the output of Valgrind confirming our findings

The executable we used for our testing is a compiled version of the fuzzing harness you made available for OSS-Fuzz (i.e. examples/llvmfuzz.c), with a main() function that simply opens a file, reads its content and calls the LLVMFuzzerTestOneInput() function. To compile, we used clang 14 and we ran every test on an ubuntu 22.04 x86-64 machine.

We also discovered an input that cause a segmentation fault. While our focus are memory safety errors from uninitialized reads, we believe that this input may be useful to you as well; please find it in the "other/" directory inside the archive.

We would be very grateful for any feedback you may give us on the bugs we are reporting.

My supervisor Daniele Cono D’Elia is copied to this communication. We would both be happy to cooperate with you to provide any further knowledge in our availability for addressing the issues.

Best wishes,

Matteo Marini