libredwg

Re: [libredwg] Libredwg Rebirth

From: Dave Bender
Subject: Re: [libredwg] Libredwg Rebirth
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2014 11:17:07 -0500

On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 12:32 AM, gagan <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 06-Dec-2014 10:10 PM, "Dave Bender" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> And I will echo the sentiment of many a CAD developer: the ODA
>> membership is not cheap but if given the opportunity I would join that
>> and use their closed source library.
>
> See its a tit for tat condition. If you and other developers contribute
> development of GNU LibreDWG, then only it can replace the openDWG libraries.
> Its your duty to make it enough good to replace openDWG. You can't actually
> say the above statement until you don't help in development of GNU LibreDWG.

I do contribute to the development by making changes available on the
link I just posted, in an open source way.
I have notified people on this list of my work in the past to
essentially zero response.
My "duty" is to make software that works with AutoCAD files, not
replace openDWG.

>> So libredwg has to be an attractive alternative for the developer, not
>> just the user.
>
> Pardon me but if you could explain what user and developer means here ?

By developer I mean an individual releasing software "A" that links to libredwg.
By user I mean someone who uses "A".
In this case the developer must release his source code under
libredwg's license for the benefit of the user.

Libredwg has a dearth of developers for a number of reasons, one being
the use of GPL3 instead of GPL2.
Existing software using GPL2 such as Inkscape and OpenSCAD cannot use libredwg.
Thus libredwg is effectively cut off from the hobby 3d printer and
lasercutting community.
Yet these two pieces of software have really enabled developers and
users alike to share code and designs in the maker revolution.
They have also worked around the need for AutoCAD, but would greatly
appreciate the ability to import/export DWG files.

If it were in these two project's interest, they could probably crowd
source the money for ODA membership but they do not.
However as it stands the have zero chance of using libredwg.