libredwg

Re: [libredwg] Strategies for TestSuite and DWG write support

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [libredwg] Strategies for TestSuite and DWG write support
Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 11:15:02 +0200

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 11:05 AM, Felipe Sanches <address@hidden> wrote:
Our friend Guruprasad Rane has suggested that we create an XML report based test suite and I think that it is a great idea.

mee too

- Figure out the legal aspects of this approach. I believe that it is ok to do it if we get a legal user license for AutoCAD, since we are simply running a custom script on it - that shouldn't be restricted at all. Perhaps we should contact FSF lawyers

it is fair use.

- define the XML schema of our CAD XML Dump format. Ideally it should map directly to the way datastructures are organized inside a DWG file. (follow the TTX example)

we could also use an extended svg format.

- implement an AutoCAD script (either in autolisp or vba) that generates XML output based on a given DWG file

we could write it in mono/dotgnu
we could make a public dotnet api for autocad

- implement a libredwg application that reads an XML report and outputs a DWG file
- implement a script that compares XML reports and decide whether the test has passed or not

Unfortunately, I think that it is not possible to automate this process since it involves running AutoCAD. Unless it is possible to run AutoCAD in a virtual machine in an automated way. But that could possibly infringe some AutoCAD EULA terms, so we better check that before trying to automate the process. Doing it in a non-automated way must not be illegal, I think.

try and run it with mono

good ideas here. keep them alive!