Re: [Libreboot] libreboot is not GNU Libreboot anymore

From: Xavi Drudis Ferran
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] libreboot is not GNU Libreboot anymore
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 12:32:13 +0200

El Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 06:38:24PM +0300, Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic deia:

> Libreboot lead developer and Minifree director pointed us to her new
> mail signature which recommends the Debian operating system
> (distribution) instead of the GNU operating system.

Oh, right. I overlooked that. Thanks.

> On 17.09.2016 18:07, Leah Rowe wrote:

> According to the FSF's RYF Endorsement Agreement I signed, specifically
> Section 11. Term and Termination, b) Termination, i. Termination by
> Licensee:
>
> Licensee may terminate this Agreement at any time by providing notice to
> FSF and by discontinuing all use of the Certification Mark. Termination
> in this manner shall be effective upon receipt of the  notice by FSF or
> at such time (not to exceed thirty (30) days) specified in the notice
> from Licensee.

Thanks. I didn't know this worked like this. Either it's not a public
agreement or I hadn't seen it.

> > Besides, if someone looses faith in a certifier it makes little sense
> > to ask from them either new certifications or decertifications, because
> > they no longer value their decisions.
>
> Since such a decertification wouldn't be on grounds of the vendor not
> respecting freedom (but it can become, if Minifree starts shipping
> Libreboot laptops with Debian instead of Trisquel or instead of other
> free distribution, in which case I believe FSF themselves would
> terminate the endorsement agreement), I doubt this has potential to
> affect the reputation of the FSF's RYF certification.

I didn't mean the reputation of FSF in general, just the opinion of
one seller of RYF certififed products. If one person suddenly loses
faith in a certifier, this person may not care for the certifier's
decisions on certification or decertification. That's independent of
the reputation of the certifier in the public in general .

> > - libreboot goes on outside GNU, lead by Leah, and any unhappy
> >   libreboot contributors stay in coreboot only ?
>
> Since Coreboot also ships with nonfree blobs, we still need a
> distribution of Coreboot which is fully free and can be easily endorsed.

Yes, I think so too. That would be libreboot in this scenario,
maybe with less people active. I only meant that for it to be something
else, that something else would need to be created, and until
somebody does so, you can't discard the option that it is not created.

But yes, maybe it's better to let involved people talk patiently and
not sat anything more.