Re: [Libreboot] Thinkpad x200 with Libreboot 20160818: problem booting f

From: Leah Rowe
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] Thinkpad x200 with Libreboot 20160818: problem booting from USB
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 08:24:17 +0100

Hi Marcel,

Op 23/08/16 om 08:20 schreef Marcel Maci:

> Hi all, I get strange behaviour with Libreboot 20160818 on Thinkpad
> x200. When Grub shows up, I select "Boot from usb". It then loads
> the Trisquel menu where I select whatever I want (e.g. install,
> boot from live cd) and I get the error message:
>
> Error: USB mass storage stalled Error: you need to load kernel
> first
>
> Press any key to continue
>
> I tried the same with another usb-stick with Tails and it booted
> without any complaint (tried several times). Other strange
> behaviour: sometimes I get a "kernel panic" message with the
> uppercase led blinking and the system stops (this can occur with
> both sticks, but with Tails the message just pops up a fraction of
> a second and then it continues booting). Does anybody know what the
> problem could be? BTW: flashing the x200 was very slow (due to bad
> connection with the clip I had to reduce speed to 128 and it took
> 1.5 hours (!) - I also had to specify manually the "MX25L6405D"
> with the -c option), but the content of the flash chip seems to be
> correct (it said VERIFIED in the end). Thx and greetings, Marcel

Can you try another USB drive? Not all drives work reliably in the
GRUB payload.

- --
Leah Rowe

Libreboot developer

Use free software. Free as in freedom.
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

Use a free operating system, GNU/Linux.
https://www.gnu.org/

Use a free BIOS.
https://libreboot.org/

Support freedom. Join the Free Software Foundation.
https://fsf.org/

Minifree Ltd, trading as Ministry of Freedom | Registered in England,
No. 9361826 | VAT No. GB202190462
Registered Office: 19 Hilton Road, Canvey Island, Essex SS8 9QA, UK |
Web: http://minifree.org/