Re: [Libreboot] Operating System for Asus C201

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] Operating System for Asus C201
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 15:59:21 +0200

On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 16:57:16 +0200
Daniel Tarrero <address@hidden> wrote:

> All is about including (or not, or when) pre-compiled binaries.
>
> Triskel distribution refuses to include ANY software in binary that
> has not its sources published. That's why the hardware support is
> somehow limited, because a lot of HW manufacturers doesnt offer
> instructions, sources, and just deliver a precompiled binary that you
> have to trust.
>
> Debian also loves this approach, they dont like binaries, but they
> are a little less "purist". In the case you use Debian and have, lets
> call it 'propietary hardware', you can add them to your Debian.
I think that both only includes free software.

I also don't think that FSDG distributions are required to have
technical mechanism to prevent you from running or adding proprietary
software.

However they are still required not to promote the use of non-free
software. That probably includes instructions to install or use
non-free software.

Some years ago, Debian was still advertising non-free software by
mentioning the non-free repositories in its documentation or
infrastructure. I've no idea if it's fixed.
At Libreplanet 2013, Stefano Zacchiroli suggested me that we should
bugreport for each issue we find to help them become FSDG compliant.

It also probably still lack some fixes that are mentioned here:
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/List_of_software_that_does_not_respect_the_Free_System_Distribution_Guidelines

That includes modifications to browsers like Firefox not to have
non-free add-ons in what looks like an add-on package manager.

You probably don't want to install non-free software by mistake or have
to check yourself extensively each add-on to verify if they are free
software.

This part of the goal of FSDG distributions and that's why I use them.

Denis.