Re: [Libreboot] Battery charging control, Was: Classical (like Phoenix)

From: Joerg Albert
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] Battery charging control, Was: Classical (like Phoenix) BIOS menu
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 23:06:49 +0200

On 21.04.2016 09:39, Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 18:50:30 +0200
> Joerg Albert <address@hidden> wrote:
>> This depends on the hardware. With Lenovo Thinkpads the i2c (aka
>> SMBus) of the battery is connected to the embedded controller only
>> (H8S in older models), which also controls charging and is powered as
>> soon as the DC power supply is attached.
> Indeed, the issue is rather how to access that bus without the
> proprietary implementation in the BIOS's SMM.
>
> Practically speaking, I don't even see an easy way to trace what that
> SMM code is doing.
>
> Maybe I would need to run the BIOS and dump the SMM code.
> I know the SMM region is supposed to be locked, but there are still
> many ways to dump it.
I guess this SMM code accesses the EC, e.g. to implement upper/lower limits
on the battery charge. BTW, for both the old EC (H8S) and the one in the
T430/X230/...
Thinkpad series (MEC1619) some efforts have be made to disassemble the firmware.

> Since the LAPIC remapping attack has only been public around 2015 and
> that the Lenovo X60 started selling near 2006, it probably works.
>
>> I guess you don't want more control over the battery but over the
>> charger, e.g. to implement upper and lower limits for the battery
>> charge.
> I assumed the battery had a gauge and a charger chip, I'll verify if
> that's actually true.

That's true, the battery has a gauge and a charger chip, which implement the
smart battery interface [1] plus some
vendor specific extension, which is e.g. used to detect genuine batteries in
the T430 and its cousins.

Cheers,
Joerg

[1] http://sbs-forum.org/specs/sbdat110.pdf