Re: [Libreboot] Operating System for Asus C201

From: Daniel Tarrero
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] Operating System for Asus C201
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 10:58:21 +0200

good morning folks!

i see, in order to run Triskel the main problem is the Chromebook architecture
(type of processor).
It's not a well known x86 (386,486,Pentium and so), its more like a smart
phone: ARM architecture.
Triskel is not compiled to support this processors, so long path going this way.

Debian is compiled to support all the processors they can =)
Just talking about Distro (after libreboot, after boot manager, after kernel)
you'll find a lot of less problems going with Debian.

You probably can talk with Triskel package maintainers, because they show
interest in doing it, and help them to compile all the packages in Triskel for
ARM processors.
Also i think all -APT- based package distribution can be "sourced from sources
and compiled". If possible, your distribution can be Triskel too, appart from
Debian, without a lot of headaches. Im not 100% sure this still exists, but 90%
=)

So the big bone here is the kernel, and there's a couple of bad guys there:

- the google's kernel is signed (EFI stuff, workaround with developer mode)
- the google's kernel has blobs (or binaries), and they are hard to "cut out"
(they stat that 'linux-libre' script that deblobs the google kernel doesnt work
right out the box).
- debian kernel in vanilla flavour doesnt look like ready (no screen, no
serial, no fun)

There are also more paths to follow:

- there seem to be a lot of documentation in building your own chrome-os /
kernel
- there is also a lot for Linux Kernel compile, maybe too much
- there are a several success histories installing Debian there =)

If i were you, i would take the easy way (and from there, complicate the
things).

You have your libreboot flashed. Try the path to install Debian with Google's
kernel.
From there, you will have a full distro to try to compile other kernels (your
own deblob Google kernel, or maybe a Linux kernel that works) and a working
boot manager to test them.

somebody looks 4 me, read u latter =)