Re: [Libreboot] Troubles flashing a T500

From: Louis Delmas
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] Troubles flashing a T500
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 18:25:09 +0200

Hi,

I finally managed to flash the t500.

I case that can help some newcomer in the future. I'm explaining here
how I managed to get it flashed.

As it turned out my PSU was not properly delivering 3.3V, unplugged I
was mesuring 3.37V but once plugged to the macronix chip, the tension
was only 2.85V.

So what I did was to use port 3 of the beaglebone to power the chip
during flashing. It turns out the beaglebone is more reliable when it
comes to the stability of tension... But I still continued to use the
ground from the PSU (connected to port 2 of BB).

From there there was some improvement because there was only one bit of
error. But still no "VERIFIED"

So I plugged the WP pin (pin 9 of the chip) to port 4 of the
beaglebone. This is the Write protection pin. If connected to 3.3V this
allows all the chip to be written.

And then I was able to flash the chip in one try at spispeed=512.

To sum up here is the final connection that worked :

===  ethernet jack and VGA port ====
 4 (3.3V BB)     -       - 21
 1               -       - 17
 NC              -       - NC
 NC              -       - NC
 NC              -       - NC
 NC              -       - NC
 18              -       - 3 (3.3V from BB)
 22              -       - NC - this is pin 1 on the flash chip
===  SATA port ===

And port 2 of the BB connected to the ground (PSU for example).

Hoping that may help future newcomers that face similar problem and
find no information online.

Cheers.

--
GPG Public key rsa4096/0x1D567BC42DF1E1EA
Fingerprint = 9EE9 F130 F7AE 076D D63B 5AF8 1D56 7BC4 2DF1 E1EA