Re: [Libreboot] Can libreboot help to escape the Intel AMT/ME nightmare?

From: Marcus Moeller
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] Can libreboot help to escape the Intel AMT/ME nightmare?
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 13:33:54 +0100

Am 05.02.2015 um 12:40 schrieb Алексей:
On Thu, Feb 05, 2015 at 12:32:39PM +0100, Marcus Moeller wrote:
Besides that, with flashing Libreboot, you will overwrite any existing
code in the BIOS, so at least this should be Free. That does not mean,
backdoors could not be included in silicon or any other part of the
hardware (e.g. this one:
http://www.golem.de/1405/sp_106690-79290-i_rc.jpg on a MacBook Air).

What do I see on the image?

> Where to read more about this threat?

Sorry, German only: http://www.golem.de/news/gchq-macbook-air-des-guardian-mit-merkwuerdigen-komponenten-1405-106690.html

The MacBook Air comes with a keyboard/trackpoint controller that can easily transformed into a keylogger (as many other devices, too).

As I don't have such a device (and am not planning to own one), I have not yet veriefied if it's backdoored by default or if just the devices at Guardian has been altered. It might also be the case that all devices that are shipped to a specific region or country are modified by default. The NSA calls those ANT products.

Anyhow, this is more a topic about librespeech and is not that libreboot specific.

Greets
Marcus