Re: [Libreboot] Booting Windows on x60

From: hede
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] Booting Windows on x60
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 16:29:37 +0100

Am Thu, 30 Oct 2014 12:56:24 +0100 schrieb Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
<address@hidden>:

> Did you check if a free replacement was available for it.

It's a OBD2-Software which doesn't work inside a virtual machine because of
timing issues. I'm using a dumb OBD2-Adapter where the serial protocol (KW1281)
is implemented via Software (incl. timing) with the PC and not inside the
Adapter. It's very old but it works with my car and I do only need it once in a
while for my own car.

But with a patched Wine it's working for my purposes (upstream wine has some
nasty bugs if a software sets uncommon serial port line speeds; bug is reported
but seems to won't change in future). I didn't find any equivalent Open Source
Software, at least nothing which doesn't call for a new (expensive) hardware
adapter.

So yes, I do not need Windows at all*. It's just calmative to have it there...

regards
hede

*) At least with this machine, it's quite a good game loader. ;-)