Re: [Libreboot] Booting Windows on x60

From: hede
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] Booting Windows on x60
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 12:32:55 +0100

Am Thu, 30 Oct 2014 10:23:35 +0000 schrieb The Gluglug <address@hidden>:

> Ask about Windows on the coreboot mailing list:
> address@hidden

Thanks for your hint. I will do so.
Sorry for asking at the wrong place.

> Libreboot does not help the user install proprietary software.

Right. Okay. That's totally fine. :-)

But why providing SeaBIOS then?
Isn't it needless/redundant/superfluous for booting free software?

Btw, my intent was: Using another free brick in the wall is fine for
the goal to build a free house in the future, even if there are still
some of the windows proprietary for now. Yes, I knew there are people
insisting of building a house either 100% free or not at all.  ;-)

> The coreboot wiki (see x60 page) documents the limitations and some
> info that is relevant to you.

I've seen coreboot wiki is mentioning Windows on x60,
but I don't know if that applies to me or not:

> > The coreboot wiki says that booting Windows 7 is broken right now,
> > with ending in a blue screen. But I do not see that blue screen!?
(and btw. it's not Windows 7 here...)

Nevermind, I'll ask at the coreboot mailing list.

(Right after I tested if upstream has the same issues. Fingers crossed
to not brick my x60 by using a self compiled BIOS replacement.)

regards
hede