[Libreboot] Booting Windows on x60

From: hede
Subject: [Libreboot] Booting Windows on x60
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 10:06:57 +0100

Hi List,

first of all: Is booting Windows XP known broken or working with Libreboot?
(http://libreboot.org/release/20141015/libreboot_bin.tar.xz)

I tried it and I didn't get it.

In case it should work, I'll try to explain what I've done so far:

I installed libreboot on my x60, with success. I can boot Linux from embedded
grub payload (some debian and arch favours).

Then I added SeaBIOS (the binary and grub entry) and SeaVGABIOS which starts
grub from disk. Although text mode is nailed to the top left corner with native
graphics, this would be fine. But no system boots this way, neither Linux nor
Windows. It seems that at the moment it tries to switch resolution (kms) it
stops working. The screen freezes with it's current content.

Then I extracted the proprietary vgabios and added it to the flash. That's all.
Libreboot is still loading grub in native graphics mode as payload while grub
loads SeaBIOS and SeaBIOS switches to the low resolution text mode (init
vgabios?) and then loading grub from disk. This time filling the whole screen
in text mode. Booting Linux from SeaBIOS is fine this way.

Then I tried starting some old Windows XP, which I need for some old legacy
closed source app (in very rare conditions). I can choose between normal and
safe mode. Boot animation seems to be fine (Windows logo in normal mode or
printing loading libs in safe mode). But whichever I choose, it stops when
changing screen resolution. Neither in normal mode (intel gpu driver?) nor in
safe mode (vesa?) Windows can boot. The mouse pointer appears on a black screen
(with typical "safe mode"-warnings in safe mode), that's it. It stops booting,
without any error message nor blue screen.

Is this the expected behaviour?

The coreboot wiki says that booting Windows 7 is broken right now, with ending
in a blue screen. But I do not see that blue screen!?

regards
hede

--
* ...steckt mehr drin, als man denkt : http://der-he.de/ *