Re: [libmicrohttpd] Change reason phrase

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [libmicrohttpd] Change reason phrase
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2022 06:52:43 +0100

Well, the RFC says that the client SHOULD ignore it. Yes, the server MAY change it, but to rely on it doesn't create a robust protocol: For example, by my reading, HTTP (reverse) proxies between client and server MAY change the message...

So yes, having the 'wrong' message technically doesn't break the standard, but using the message to convey significant information does.