Re: [Libcdio-devel] libcdio tools cannot read multi-exent files with Jol

From: Thomas Schmitt
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] libcdio tools cannot read multi-exent files with Joliet exensions on
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 09:25:57 +0200

Hi,

Pete Batard wrote:
> Not too sure why you jumped on taking the blame for introducing the issue,
> as I'm pretty sure I'm the one who did

You are right. The problem is already in the branch "pbatard-multiextent2".
So i only adopted it when i started my git branch "pragmatic-multiextent"
from that branch. From then on i was a good foster parent until you
developed the changeset which finally got into the main branch:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libcdio.git/commit/?id=d758fa2253cca062e92ad0754a64c15a854db4ff
  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libcdio-devel/2020-05/msg00017.html

(Reason for my involvement was national penance after FIFA World Cup 2018.)

> the Gentoo
> people did make sure that they placed a duplicate of the ESP image content
> on the ISO file system structure (Now, wouldn't it be *nice* if xorriso did
> that on its own... ;))

Wouldn't help if Gentoo hadn't thought of it, because they are still using
mkisofs.

xorriso (1.5.5 in git) now has the proposed warning messages:

  xorriso : WARNING : EFI boot equipment is provided but no directory /EFI/BOOT
  xorriso : WARNING : will emerge in the ISO filesystem. A popular method to
  xorriso : WARNING : prepare a USB stick on MS-Windows relies on having in the
  xorriso : WARNING : ISO filesystem a copy of the EFI system partition tree.

My offer stands to add another warning line with the URL of a document
which describes the needs of the unpacking method(s).
I would also be willing to adopt such a description for the docs of libisofs
and GNU xorriso, if your license permits it.

> their build of GRUB 2.0 does include the ntfs module [...]
> the boot kernel is still missing an NTFS driver,

These and any other constraints should be documented in a quick-to-read
manner.
(Consider to write a very concise checklist section and to give detailed
motivation in further parts of the document. As i know my distro users
they have about 5 minutes time per month for this aspect of their work.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas