Re: Future Direction of GNU Hurd?

From: William ML Leslie
Subject: Re: Future Direction of GNU Hurd?
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 18:00:45 +1100

On Mon, 15 Mar 2021 at 05:18, Olaf Buddenhagen <olafbuddenhagen@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 06:00:13PM +1100, William ML Leslie wrote:
>
> > The hurd-ng project, to the extent that there remains a project, is
> > really very open ended.  Any sufficiently motivated person who came
> > along could make whatever they wanted to with it.  As long as they
> > follow the license of any code they use, they can make it into
> > anything they like.  They don't have to agree with the opinions of
> > Shap or myself, they are free to make decisions that would make Thomas
> > Bushnell look down his nose at them, and are free to ignore the
> > opinions of Samuel or Richard.
> [...]
> > But the one thing that stands out to me from the open source community
> > is that every time someone tells you what you should or shouldn't be
> > building, you can feel free to loudly ignore them.
>
> Woah, calm down. Of course you are free -- and generally encouraged --
> to work on any kind of system you like. (As long as you don't call it
> "Hurd"...)
>
> Indeed I'm myself contemplating a design that is inspired by the Hurd in
> some ways, but diverges significantly in others...
>
> Having said that, keep in mind that this list is owned by the Hurd
> project. You are entitled to disagree: but saying that the opinions of
> Hurd developers don't matter, is frankly just rude.

You really don't have to satisfy people who have no stake in the
project.  Those who still have authority and an active interest -
namely Samuel T and Ludovic - are very reasonable and are known not to
micromanage anyone who wanted to contribute.

> > nor am I going to justify decisions I've made in a new project I
> > started in September.
>
> Of course you don't have to justify the decisions you make in your own
> project. However, if you are bringing them up on this list, I'd hope you
> would be willing to explain what makes you like one approach over
> another: considering that this is basically the whole point of the
> discussions here...

When it is relevant to the point, sure.  I'm just aware it's very easy
to talk a lot about what I should build and never actually build
anything.

> > You can probably tell from my previous email that I'm still kind of
> > mired in low-level nonsense at this point and don't have anything
> > useful to share about it.
>
> Well, I wouldn't call it nonsense... Though for my project, I decided to
> go a different route: mostly focusing on high-level aspects for now --
> only considering lower-level implementation details when they come up
> while thinking about other aspects. And when I'll start the
> implementation, I'll go with low-effort approximations based on existing
> systems first, leaving a native implementation for later.
>
> Of course this way I'm taking a risk that some of the things I'm
> envisioning for the low-level mechanisms turn out not to be viable, and
> I'll have to revamp major aspects of the system... But at least I'm
> avoiding the risk of getting bogged down in low-level details, and never
> getting to the interesting parts -- like so many other projects...

That's fair.  I mean, I want to play with user interface concepts, but
I'm unlikely to ever get that far on my own.  Right now I just want to
get to the point where I can develop on a free, reasonably secure, and
transactional system.  I don't want to make any claims past that point
because there's no reason for me to think yet that I'll get to do many
of them.

--
William Leslie

Q: What is your boss's password?
A: "Authentication", clearly

Notice:
Likely much of this email is, by the nature of copyright, covered
under copyright law.  You absolutely MAY reproduce any part of it in
accordance with the copyright law of the nation you are reading this
in.  Any attempt to DENY YOU THOSE RIGHTS would be illegal without
prior contractual agreement.