koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] BIG BIG problem (utf8 & mySQL)

From: Joshua Ferraro
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] BIG BIG problem (utf8 & mySQL)
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 16:26:09 -0800

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 05:14:24PM +0100, Paul POULAIN wrote:
> (I cc: mike Rylander in case the pines guys have another solution...)
>
> I continue investigating the utf8 stuff. I have a very very bad feeling
> : it seems that Perl DBI::mysql does not handle utf8 correctly.
> Here are some links :
> http://www.cpanforum.com/threads/654
> http://lists.mysql.com/perl/3714
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=msql-mysql-modules&m=111970179409036&w=2
> http://lists.mysql.com/perl/3006?f=plain
>
> If I read correctly, there are only 2 ways to solve this :
> * bug DBD::mysql maintainer to have the fix included. Would require an
> official release, an upgrade of DBD::mysql, but it's a better solution
> in the long term.
I've sent an email to Patrick, who maintains the CPAN module and
also appears to work for mysqlab ... I'll let you know if/when he
replies with an answer to our questions.

> * modify EVERY SQL query to Encode::decode_utf8() every value. A quite
> huge task !
This is true, but it's also an excellent opportunity to put thd's
recommended abstraction of the underlying SQL database. I'm more than
happy to do some grunt work if we have a clear path for how to
implement thd's proposal. Any thoughts on how best to acomplish
this?

Cheers,

--
Joshua Ferraro               VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
address@hidden |Full Demos at http://liblime.com/koha |1(888)KohaILS