koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Improvements forecast in 2.2.6

From: Paul POULAIN
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Improvements forecast in 2.2.6
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 09:18:58 +0100

Russel Garlick a écrit :
Hi Henri

We are about to start some work on Serials for a corporate library.
What you are proposing to do is great, we hope to build on it with the functionality we are working on.

Note that it will be in 2.2.6, as it changes nothing to the DB structure, and with systempref set to OFF, it changes nothing at all.

We are working on

Routing Lists
---------------------------------
We plan to make this an option in preferences

Routing lists on Yes/No

http://wiki.liblime.com/doku.php?id=kohaserialsspec#routing_list
http://wiki.liblime.com/doku.php?id=kohaserialsspec#adding_a_new_staff_member_to_a_serial_routing_list

I have put some code about this in HEAD. You can define a routing list (i've called the feature "distributed to", routing list is probably a better name) In Koha >> Catalogue >> Serial >> detail >> add/modify, you have a "distributed to ..." button. If you click on it you can type a list of ppl that should get every issue. The list can contains borrowers table entries (you can search) or anything else (manually entered) Once you have defined the list, everytime you validate an issue you can print the distributed to list (with a print css). Works fine for one of my customer, although a little bit basic. Feel free to improve this.

Claims
---------------------------------
Our client would like to set claims per publication.

So once again

Serial Claims Yes/No
If yes - set a default.

Then in the information about the individual serial provide a mechanism to override the default.

http://wiki.liblime.com/doku.php?id=kohaserialsspec#claim_cycle
http://wiki.liblime.com/doku.php?id=kohaserialsspec#claiming_a_missing_issue

If I understand correctly, I have something like this : Identified borrowers in OPAC can put an alert on a serial title (stay in touch button). Once they have said they want to stay in touch, every time an issue is marked "arrived", a mail is sent to each borrowers that subscribed to this feature. The letter used is defined in the -new- letter module in parameters section, where you can define letters. I suggest to use this module for all our reports, it works fine even if it still can be a little bit improved. This feature relies on the "alert" table that could be used for other alerts (like "be alerted every time a new book related to this query appears in the library)

Frequency Module
Our interface will use drop downs etc. As such it will be more restrictive than the system Paul(?) developed. So once again for each serial Item there will be the option to override and use the Custom method.

Note that I also plan to add something to the issue-calculation system, to have non numeric values in issue numbers (like "fall, winter, spring, summer" or "jan,feb,mar,apr...")

--
Paul POULAIN et Henri Damien LAURENT
Consultants indépendants