[Jailkit-users] Screen Terminates on Immediately Debian Wheezy for Jaile

From: Jun Jin Choong
Subject: [Jailkit-users] Screen Terminates on Immediately Debian Wheezy for Jailed users
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 15:33:14 +0800

Hello,

I have been searching the web thoroughly for hours for hints now and I've done various tests but I could not solve my problem on jailed users' screen; it terminates immediately without any errors.

I initially followed steps from http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/jailkit-users/2007-11/msg00006.html. Unfortunately, my problem is that the screen terminates immediately when launched as a chroot/jailed user.

From the link, I had to modify the configuration as some devices were absent and I had to include /lib/terminfo otherwise screen will complain that xterm does not exist.

Last login: Wed Sep  4 06:25:14 2013 from 192.168.1.100
address@hidden:~$ screen
Please set a terminal type.
address@hidden:~$ export TERM=xterm
address@hidden:~$ screen
[screen is terminating]

My next step was to test it out with a deboostrap in a jailed environment. It worked and I could launch screen which does not terminate as expected.

I thought that the problem could be missing files, but that does not seem to be the case as I have copied almost every folder from the host into /home/jail but it still terminates without any debug messages.

My further tests include doing strace to identify missing components by comparing a non-jailed user and a jailed user. The logs were almost identical in terms of access and open function calls.

In addition to screen, I've also tried tmux, but I couldn't get it to work either.

Help would be highly appreciated!