[Jailkit-users] JailKit features

From: Sam Hon
Subject: [Jailkit-users] JailKit features
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 15:41:24 +0800

Hi all,

I love the work being done on JailKit. My purpose of this email is to find out in depth what JailKit can offer as an operating system level virtualization. By OS level virtualization I mean zones or containers rather than a full OS bootup with hardware emulation.

My target platform is Mac OS X (Lion and Snow Leopard) and Linux.
On Linux I intend to use LXC but for OS X I'm considering JailKit.

I hope to isolate the following for each Unix user:

1. Restrict filesystem access              (√ possible)
2. Limit memory usage                      (? not sure)
3. Limit CPU usage                         (? not sure)
4. Limit TCP / UDP port in/outbound access (? not sure)
5. Jail user and limit root access         (√ possible)
6. Limit number of processes per user      (√ possible)

As you can see, in the above list I do have a number of ?s, and it's very probably that some of these can be achieved using other means such as ulimit. But ulimit affect users on a global scale whereas I'm trying to come up with a number of user groups, each with different restrictions and limits.

I need some clarifications and guidance as to how I can best achieve them.

Thanks in advanced.
Hope to hear from you guys soon,

Sam