[Jailkit-users] Newbie - Password Change

From: David Harper
Subject: [Jailkit-users] Newbie - Password Change
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 08:40:48 -0400

I'm new to jailing a user so forgive the ignorance. I recently
attempted to jail a user (sftp/scp) on my Ubuntu 8.04 system. I am
able to get to the point of entering the password using WinSCP, so the
connection to my box is working. When I enter the password it states
that the login is incorrect. I have verified that the user is
identified in the sshd_config file, I changed the password as root and
ran jk_update, but still unable to login.

I deleted the entire jail and user, then reinstalled. This time it
states (in WinSCP) that sftp-server is not running on the host. I
verfied that it was running by logging in as a normal ssh user.

I also got errors during the jk_init process that some of the
sftp-server files did not exist. On my system sftp-server only resides
in the /usr/lib/sftp-server and openssh/sft-server and not in the
/usr/libexe directory (spelling maybe in correct as I'm not on my
system to verify now). I'm not sure if this is the issue?

My end goal is to have a jail to allow someone to use WinSCP or
cmdline scp to my box. The user will only need the capability to
up/download data to that directory.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David