Re: [Jailkit-users] unable to start up jailkit

From: Olivier Sessink
Subject: Re: [Jailkit-users] unable to start up jailkit
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 22:49:14 +0200

Gonzalez, Fabian (FG8) wrote:
Hello..

I am unable to startup jailkit. I am running susse10 on a Virtual Machine. After following the jailkit INSTALL.txt instructions with no errors I get the following message in response for a start:

#/etc/init.d/jailkit.suse start

Starting JAILKIT services. (jk_socketd)version 2.5, no sockets specified in configfile /etc/jailkit/jk_socketd.ini or on commandline, nothing to do, exiting...

startproc:  exit status of parent of /usr/sbin/jk_socketd: 1

                                                                      failed

I have tried several guesses at a fix, but I’m in the same place I started..

What am I doing wrong.. any suggestions/advice?

at the moment the /etc/init.d/jailkit script only starts jk_socketd. See "man jk_socketd" for more info.

the message "no sockets specified in configfile /etc/jailkit/jk_socketd.ini or on commandline, nothing to do, exiting" means that jk_socketd has nothing to do (there is nothing specified in jk_socketd.ini and nothing specified on the commandline) so jk_socketd might as well exit.

This is totally fine if you don't want jk_socketd to pass any log messages from jails to the real syslog server.

However, if you expect jk_socketd to pass log messages from some jail to the real syslog, you should take a look at either the commandline options or the configfile.

regards,