Re: [Jailkit-users] WinSCP and Jailkit

From: Olivier Sessink
Subject: Re: [Jailkit-users] WinSCP and Jailkit
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 18:59:26 +0100

Steven Mapes wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone knows how to get jailkit to allow connection
> from WinSCP, especially for SCP only accounts.
>
> I recently installed jailkit onto my Fedora Core 5 box with a restricted
> SCP user.  Using SCP directly works fine form other *nix machines and
> from inside of cygwin on windows, but I have a user who wishes to use
> WinSCP which tries to create an interactive shell session.
>
> This is what appears in the log "/tried to get an interactive shell
> session (/usr/sbin/jk_lsh), which is never allowed by jk_lsh/".

I'm not sure for scp, but when using sftp I know that winscp has an
option for this. Something called "sftp only" or "don't fallback to scp"
or something like that.

> Looking around I see that WinSCP has problems with restricted shell
> environment
> (http://winscp.net/eng/docs/requirements#using_winscp_with_restricted_shell_environments)
> but was hoping someone here has found a way to get it to work

It might be that for scp you need to give access to an interactive
shell. You might want to allow sftp and scp in the jail, and have winscp
users use sftp. Otherwise create an interactive shell (and don't use
jk_lsh) and add some minimal utilities.

regards,