[Jailkit-users] Shared home directories inside of jail

From: Andrey Fedorov
Subject: [Jailkit-users] Shared home directories inside of jail
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 16:13:42 -0400

Dear all,

I'm trying to set up a shared home directory inside of a sftp-only jail so that multiple users can log in and share files, but do nothing else. I seem to be running into trouble, because jk_chrootsh requires that the home directory of a user is owned by that user. The error in my system log is:

Jun  7 12:31:29 julius jk_chrootsh[4196]: abort, path /home/jail/./home/storage is not owned by 503

User 503 is the user I am trying to log in with. He is not the owner of his home dir, because I'd like for several users to use this dir as home.

The test for this is on line 315 of jk_chrootsh.c, and looks like this:

310: ret = testsafepath(pw->pw_dir, getuid(), getgid());
315: if ((ret & TESTPATH_OWNER) ) {
316:     syslog(LOG_ERR, "abort, path %s is not owned by %d", pw->pw_dir,getuid());
317:     exit(53);
318: }

Would it be unwise to just remove these last four lines (315-318)? What are the security implications?

Cheers,
Andrey