RE: [Jailkit-users] closed connection for sftp in a chrooted jail

From: Russ Lavoie
Subject: RE: [Jailkit-users] closed connection for sftp in a chrooted jail
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 09:15:31 -0600

The only shell I have enabled is sftp (same as the openssh 4.2.x
versions).  I do have logging running, but the only place I can find
anything talking about jk_xxx is in /var/log/messages and
/var/log/secure.

Here is my /etc/jailkit/jk_socketd.ini

# example
#[/home/testchroot/dev/log]
#base = 1024
#peek = 10240
#interval = 2.0

#[/var/ftp/mike/dev/log]
#base=512
#peek=2048
#interval=10

[/var/ftp/dev/log]
base=1024
peek=10240
interval=10

Here is /var/ftp/etc/jk_lsh.ini

[mike]
paths=/usr/bin, /usr/lib, /usr/libexec
executables=/usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server, /usr/bin/scp

Here is the /var/ftp/dev/ directory.

address@hidden dev]# ll /var/ftp/dev/
total 0
srw-rw-rw- 1 root root    0 Nov 20 02:57 log
cr--r--r-- 1 root root 1, 9 Nov 17 02:39 urandom

here is the users home directory.

address@hidden dev]# ll /var/ftp/home/
total 4
drwx------ 3 mike mike 4096 Nov 17 02:40 mike

I am using WinSCP and regular linux to linux does not work.

This is the error when I am using WinSCP

Connection has been unexpectedly closed. Server sent command exit status
127.

I can use the SFTP shell when I am using a user that is not chrooted
using jailkit.

I followed the following link step by step.  (just so you know the setup
steps I went through)

Using these same steps I can create another sftp site on any other
system using 4.2.x.  But once I use 4.3 it breaks (even if I had it
installed and working right after the upgrade it stopped working)

Thanks!

Russ