Re: Info vs man [was: Playground pager lsp(1)]

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Info vs man [was: Playground pager lsp(1)]
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 10:36:29 +0200

On Thu, Apr 06, 2023 at 09:29:22AM +0100, Gavin Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 06, 2023 at 08:29:19AM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > > https://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/html_node/Info-Format-Specification.html
> >

> > As a thought experiment [...]

> It's not possible to do reliably or simply.  Here's an excerpt
> from a file in the Texinfo repository (TODO.HTML):

I know that it isn't currently possible. That's why I tagged
this as a "thought experiment". And formulated the question
with "what would it take..."

>   It was also an issue as to how to get the manual name from a link.
>   In recent Texinfo releases, links to other manuals are annotated with the
>   "data-manual" attribute.  This solves the problem of getting the manual
>   name.
>
>   Texinfo manuals are put on the web with a variety of URL formats and
>   it is not possible to reliably get a manual name from a URL or even
>   to tell if a URL is to a Texinfo manual or to some other webpapge.  It's
>   unlikely we could persuade everybody to change their URL formats to
>   be something a browser could parse reliably to get the manual name.  Here
>   are some examples of URL's and the manual names:

I wouldn't give up that early. Of course, there's no sensible way
to "change the world" right away. The first step would be coming
up with some scheme which looks feasible (criteria, criteria: e.g.
some don't have control over the host name, but perhaps over the
path, etc.). The next step would be to encourage people to slowly
move there.

One step at a time :)

Cheers