Re: Playground pager lsp(1)

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: Playground pager lsp(1)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 20:15:31 +0100

On Wed, Apr 05, 2023 at 12:11:44PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 11:03:36 +0200
> > From: tomas@tuxteam.de
> > Cc: help-texinfo@gnu.org
> >
> > I was dreaming of a world where both doc systems converge
> > in a way their respective users don't notice, and we end
> > up with a Grand Unified Documentation (GUD) for all things
> > free.

Probably never going to happen IMHO.  "Imagine a world where all
programming languages converge and their users don't notice"...
see how that sounds?

Truth is that there are many historical or technical circumstances
as to why people might use one system or another, and while arguing
about which is better might be fun, it is mostly a waste of time.

I didn't see much relevance of this discussion thread for help-texinfo
other than to denigrate "the GNU guys".

Some points in response to this thread:

* It's possible to have a cross-reference from an Info file to a
manpage - it would look like *Note bash manpage:(*manpages*)bash(1).
But this is not recommended at all.  In fact, it may only work in
the info browser by accident, and not by design.

* info cannot reflow the text to adapt to different display widths.
This is a limitation of the Info format.  It is probably not so
different to the case of man pages, in fact, as they need to be
regenerated from the groff source to get a different width, as Eli
said in his recent message.  The difference is that the groff source
is installed and used by the "man" program, whereas Texinfo source is
not used by the "info" program.

> The future is already here: just use Texinfo manuals for everything.

LOL!