Re: Playground pager lsp(1)

From: Alejandro Colomar
Subject: Re: Playground pager lsp(1)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 01:45:46 +0200

Hi Dirk.

On 3/25/23 21:47, Dirk Gouders wrote:
> Hi Alejandro,
>
> first of all, chances are that you consider this post as spam, because
> this list is about linux manual pages and not pagers.

No, I don't.

>  In that case
> please accept my apologies and ignore this post.
>
> My reasoning was that readers here have some interest in manual pages
> and therefore probably also in pagers that claim to "understand" manual
> pages.  My hope is that even if you consider this post inappropriate you
> will perhaps suggest some more appropriate place for such discussion.
>
> Not long ago, I noticed a discussion [1] about what pagers can and
> cannot do.  That was interesting to me, because I am currently playing
> with a pager that claims to have a focus on manual pages.
>
> I will try to not waste your time and attach the manual page and a link
> to a short (3:50) demo video.  To me it is absolutely OK should you just
> ignore this spam post, but perhaps you find lsp(1) interesting enough
> for further discussion.

If you had a Debian package, I might try it :)

Or maybe a Makefile to build from source...  What is this meson.build?

> Best regards,
>
> Dirk
>
> [1] https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-man/index.html#24494
> [2] https://youtu.be/syGT4POgTAw
>
> LSP(1)                           User commands                          LSP(1)
>
> NAME
>        lsp - list pages (or least significant pager)
>
> SYNOPSIS
>        lsp [options] [file_name]...
>
>        lsp -h
>
>        lsp -v
>
> DESCRIPTION
>        lsp is a terminal pager that assists in paging through data, usually
>        text — no more(1), no less(1).

I'd say it does quite a lot more than paging...  We could say this is some
info(1) equivalent for manual pages.

With the benefit that you don't need to implement such a system from scratch,
but just reusing the existing tools (apropos, man, whatis, ...).  It seems
something like what I would have written if I had to implement info(1) from
scratch.  I wish GNU guys had thought of this instead of developing their
own incompatible system.

>        The given files are opened if file names are given as options.
>        Otherwise lsp assumes input from stdin and tries to read from there.
>
>        In addition to it’s ability to aid in paging through text files lsp has
>        limited knowledge about manual pages and offers some help in viewing
>        them:
>
>        •   Manual pages usually refer to other manual pages and lsp allows to
>            navigate those references and to visit them as new files with the
>            ability to also navigate through all opened manual pages or other
>            files.

Out of curiosity, is this implemented with heuristics?  Or do you rely on
semantic mdoc(7) macros?

If it's the first, how do you handle exit(1)?  Is it a reference, or is it
just code (with the meaning exit(EXIT_FAILURE))?

If it's the second, I guess it doesn't support that in man(7), right?  At
least until MR is released.

>            Here, lsp tries to minimize frustration caused by unavailable
>            references and verifies their existance before offering them as
>            references that can be visited.

Do you mark these as broken references?  It is interesting to know that
there's a reference which you don't have installed.  It may prompt you to
install it and read it.  When I see a broken reference, I usually find it
with `apt-file find man3/page.3`, and then install the relevant package.

>        •   In windowing environments lsp does complete resizes when windows
>            get resized. This means it also reloads the manual page to fit the
>            new window size.

Good.  This I miss it in less(1) often.  Not sure if they had any strong
reason to not support that.

>        •   Search for manual pages using apropos(1); in the current most basic
>            form it lists all known manual pages ready for text search and
>            visiting referenced manual pages.

What does it bring that `apropos * | less` can't do?  If you're going the
of info(1) with full-blown system, it seems reasonable, but I never really
liked all that if it's just a new terminal and a command away from me.

>        •   lsp has an experimental TOC mode.
>
>            This is a three-level folding mode trying to list only section and
>            sub-section names for quick navigation in manual pages.

Nice, and this an important feature missing feature in info(1), as I
reported recently.  :)  Maybe they are interested in something similar.

>            The TOC is created using naive heuristics which works well to some
>            extend, but it might be incomplete. Users should keep that in mind.

I guess the heuristics are just `^[^ ]` for SH and `^   [^ ]` for SS, right?
I tipically use something similar for searching for command flags, and as
you say, these just work.

Cheers,
Alex

--
<http://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>
GPG key fingerprint: A9348594CE31283A826FBDD8D57633D441E25BB5