Re: Loss of search facility in info in newer releases of Texinfo

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: Loss of search facility in info in newer releases of Texinfo
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 19:10:34 +0000

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 05:14:28PM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Hello, Gavin.
>
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 20:50:50 +0100, Gavin Smith wrote:
> > I will look at the documentation and other issues you raise.
>
> Thanks!  I'll look forward to that.

Hello Alan, I am not sure if you are still interested in this issue
but I did not see any continuation of this discussion so wasn't aware
if you or others were aware of the outcome.

In Texinfo 7.0 onward, there is a new variable ASCII_PUNCTUATION
(used like 'texi2any -c ASCII_PUNCTUATION=1') which uses ASCII output
in preference to non-ASCII UTF-8 in several contexts: the output
of commands like @samp, the output of ', '', `, ``, -, -- and ---
in output files, and the output of some glpyh commands like @bullet{}.

Currently we are discussing on bug-texinfo changing some defaults
for the output and adding some configuration variables for more
fine-grained control of the output.
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-texinfo/2023-02/msg00048.html

Currently, I expect that ASCII_PUNCTUATION will carry on doing what
it does already.