Re: Last(est) Texinfo version that generates HTML4 output; 7.0.1 with `-

From: Nutchanon Wetchasit
Subject: Re: Last(est) Texinfo version that generates HTML4 output; 7.0.1 with `-c DOCTYPE=...` and `-c NO_CUSTOM_HTML_ATTRIBUTE=1` indeed works
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2023 15:34:06 +0700

I have now managed to install Texinfo 7.0.1 from source on my machine
(without having to install/build any new dependency, which is great).

On Wed, 4 Jan 2023 16:02:33 +0100
Patrice Dumas <pertusus@free.fr> wrote:

> The current version does not use HTML constructs introduced after HTML
> 4.01 except for a custom attribute, as far as I can tell.  So normally,
> simply setting the DOCTYPE and setting the customization variable that
> removes the custom attribute should be all you need to do, like
>
> texi2any --html -c DOCTYPE='<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01
> Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd";>' -c
> 'NO_CUSTOM_HTML_ATTRIBUTE=1' myfile.texi
>
> Some attributes that were dropped in 4.01 strict and readded in HTML 5
> may be present, though, but I am not very sure, and I think that they
> were still in the transitional HTML 4.01.

I have tried the command line you suggested for rendering my Texinfo book
using Texinfo 7.0.1 `texi2any --html` (after I removed my hacks [1]
from in-document macros to make this version of `texi2any` not error out).
Resulting HTML files from both all-in-one-page mode and 1-page-1-node mode
indeed all passed W3C validation as HTML 4.01 Transitional documents!

Thank you,
Nutchanon Wetchasit

[1] I have now managed to make my macro hacks not to blow up under
    Texinfo 4.13 (not 4.3, my original post stated it wrong, sorry)
    in both HTML and TeX-PDF output. It holds up in 7.0.1 Tex-PDF
    processing, but not 7.0.1 `text2any --html` one. Mr. Smith said [2]
    that macro handlings changed in 5.0 so that might be the point
    it stopped working. Later I might have to research for ways
    to define different macros for different Texinfo version range,
    but that would be a question for another time.

[2] "Re: Last(est) Texinfo version that generates HTML4 output?"
    [2023-01-04T16:31:25Z]
    <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-texinfo/2023-01/msg00002.html>