Re: Loss of search facility in info in newer releases of Texinfo

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: Loss of search facility in info in newer releases of Texinfo
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 15:24:29 +0100

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 02:22:57PM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> Again, I am asking for an option which would give a clean, clear way not
> to output Unicode >0x7f for the Texinfo formatting characters, whilst
> not affecting any of the other facilities for manipulating non-ASCII
> characters.  Are you prepared to implement or accept such a facility?

I must say that I am not thrilled by that prospect, because everyone
could want different classes to be left in ascii.  I think that the
current situation where @documentencoding absence changes the formatting
is problematic and I proposed a simplification to the bug-texinfo
mailing list, but this will definitively not satisfy your need.

To satisfy your need there would be a need to add a customization variable,
for instance DISABLE_PUNCTUATION_ENCODING that would selectively lead to
ascii being output in the resulting file with:
* added quotes as ASCII
* dashes and quotes appearing in the document ``, ---, ' as ASCII
* some brace_no_arg_commands @-commands as ASCII, those that are not
  in the 7bit ascii range and correspond to punctuation, maybe along
  @minus, @dots, @enddots, @quotedblleft, @quotedblright,
  @quoteleft, @quoteright.  Maybe also, but I am not sure,
  @quotedblbase, @quotesinglbase.

Did I get it right?