Re: Loss of search facility in info in newer releases of Texinfo

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Loss of search facility in info in newer releases of Texinfo
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 14:59:39 +0000

Hello, Pat.

On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 16:17:01 +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 10:18:39AM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > I have not yet figured out how to add a new command line option.  I
> > envisage the new option being called --enable-utf8-punctuation, with a
> > default value of ON.

> > So, my question.  Are the maintainers of Texinfo, in principle, willing
> > to accept such an enhancement and to include it in future release
> > versions?

> You can already use --disable-encoding, but it has other consequences
> than keeping the literal ` and '.

Yes.  I want to keep the output in UTF-8, keeping things like people's
names and even Unicode punctuation which was part of the .texi source.

> For simple quoted strings, you should be able to pass

>  -c OPEN_QUOTE_SYMBOL=` -c CLOSE_QUOTE_SYMBOL='

> (with proper shell script quoting) to set the quotes.  Would that be
> enough?

Thanks, I didn't know about these!  But that would still leave the
various forms of double quotes, the EM-DASH, and a few other things
in the Unicode style that I don't like.

What I want is an option which will output all texi2any's punctuation
characters in ASCII, whilst leaving the UTF-8 characters in the .texi
source untouched.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).