Re: Loss of search facility in info in newer releases of Texinfo

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Loss of search facility in info in newer releases of Texinfo
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2021 18:53:07 +0300

> Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2021 15:43:14 +0000
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
>
>     C-s ` f o o '
>
> ..
>
> This no longer works for me in current Texinfo because what used to be
> ASCII punctuation characters in info, ` and ', have been replaced by
> Unicode curly quotes, which don't exist on my keyboard.  Thus I cannot
> search for `foo' in any reasonable way in Emacs.
>
> Also, the display of these Unicode punctuation characters is awkward and
> ugly on my Linux console.
>
> The Emacs maintainer, Eli Zaretskii, has expressed his opposition to
> implementing a workaround inside Emacs.

To clarify: I'm opposed to changing the characters present in Info
files into some other characters when reading the files into Emacs,
because replacing the Unicode characters generated by makeinfo with
ASCII will generally interfere with file offsets recorded in the Info
tag tables.  I do NOT oppose to changing the visual display of the
Unicode characters so as to allow them to be seen on terminals that
cannot display the original Unicode characters (similarly to what the
stand-alone Info reader does), but Alan isn't satisfied with that.