Re: Last modification date of the document with git?

From: Vivien Kraus
Subject: Re: Last modification date of the document with git?
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2021 10:04:34 +0200

Hello,

Le dimanche 03 octobre 2021 à 01:29 +0100, Gavin Smith a écrit :
> Suppose you check out an old version with "git checkout".
> Updating the file modification times to the present time means that
> any derivative files will be regenerated by the build system.

We are not talking about the same thing. Automake generates a file to
store the date of last modification (we use it as @value{UPDATED} after
including version.texi), so that this date can be printed in the
document. This is so people will know whether there is something new in
the manual or not, I suppose.

If I clone the repository or otherwise checkout older commits, this
date will be erased because Automake stores it as the texinfo file
modification date. However, I can compute that date and I would like to
restore it, so that @value{UPDATED} is correct.