Re: deleting the temporary files produced by texi2pdf

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: deleting the temporary files produced by texi2pdf
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 14:52:36 +0100

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 08:45:45AM +0200, Christopher Dimech wrote:
> My current setup is composed of chapters (e.g. 06ch, ...) and a
> macro library in macrolib.  In the directory freelic, I have
> copies of the licenses that I include in my documents.
>
> So there exists the real difficulty of where to put macrolib and
> freelic directories.  Would need some assistance to set TEXINPUTS.
>
> hagbard@fuckup:
> + ~/01cuneus/tdr
> tree
> .
> ├── 06ch
> │   ├── 06a-amcoh.texi
> │   ├── 06b-amcoh-igm.texi
> │   └── 06c-amcoh-rfc.texi
> ├── macrolib
> │   ├── dissert.texi
> │   ├── prelisutra.texi
> │   └── ramasutra.texi
> ├── freelic
> │   ├── latest
> │   │   └── freelic-3.4
> │   │       ├── gnu
> │   │       │   ├── agpl-3.0.texi
> │   │       │   ├── gfdl-1.3.texi
> │   │       │   ├── gpl-3.0.texi
> │   │       │   └── lgpl-3.0.texi

It would be export TEXINPUTS=$HOME/01cuneus/tdr:$TEXINPUTS

I expect this would be okay for TeX but there may be a problem with
texi2any not finding the include files.  You would have to experiment
and report back.  What could be made to work with modifications to
texi2any (if it doesn't already) is

texi2any 06ch/06-amcoh.texi

from the top-level directory, but not

texi2any 06-amcoh.texi

from within 06ch.texi as there's no way to find the top-level directory
(unless texi2any interprets TEXINPUTS somehow, maybe calling kpsewhich...?)

As far as I've been able to find out, there is the same problem with
LaTeX, but maybe someone else knows more.

> It is a shame that absolute pathnames alse encounter problems.  Texinfo is
> actually
> fraught with problems, don't you think ?  There also is the problems with
> macros (a
> structure I find very important in texinfo), and @ifset having to start at
> the beginning
> of the line.
>
> What do you think of the future of texinfo?

Use @inlineifset if you need the conditional other than at the beginning of
a line.