Using a macro makes pdfetex quits and exits with bad status

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Using a macro makes pdfetex quits and exits with bad status
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 22:05:24 +0200

Let't try again

This is what I have done

 2001  cd /home/hagbard/Admir/source/texinfo
 2002  ls
 2003  rm configure
 2004  ./autogen.sh

 2000  cd /home/hagbard/Admir/build/texinfo
 2001  ../../source/texinfo/configure
 2002  make
 2003  sudo make install

Then I did

sudo make TEXMF=/usr/local/share/texmf install-tex

Here is the consequence

sudo make TEXMF=/usr/local/share/texmf install-tex
cd doc && make TEXMF=/usr/local/share/texmf install-tex
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/hagbard/Admir/build/texinfo/doc'
test -n "/usr/local/share/texmf" || (echo "TEXMF must be set." >&2; exit 1)
/bin/bash /home/hagbard/Admir/source/texinfo/build-aux/install-sh -d
/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/texinfo /usr/local/share/texmf/tex/generic/epsf
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 ../../../source/texinfo/doc/texinfo.tex
/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/texinfo/texinfo.tex
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 ../../../source/texinfo/doc/texinfo-ja.tex
/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/texinfo/texinfo-ja.tex
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 ../../../source/texinfo/doc/epsf.tex
/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/generic/epsf/epsf.tex
for f in txi-ca.tex txi-cs.tex txi-de.tex txi-en.tex txi-es.tex txi-fi.tex
txi-fr.tex txi-hu.tex txi-is.tex txi-it.tex txi-ja.tex txi-nb.tex txi-nl.tex
txi-nn.tex txi-pl.tex txi-pt.tex txi-ru.tex txi-sr.tex txi-tr.tex txi-uk.tex;
do \
  /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 ../../../source/texinfo/doc/$f
/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/texinfo/$f; done
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/hagbard/Admir/build/texinfo/doc'

Finally I run texi2pdf,

hagbard@fuckup:
+ ~/01cuneus/tdr/06ch
texi2pdf 06a-amcoh.texi
/usr/local/bin/texi2dvi: texinfo.tex appears to be broken.
This may be due to the environment variable TEX set to something
other than (plain) tex, a corrupt texinfo.tex file, or
to tex itself simply not working.
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.18 (TeX Live 2017/Debian)
(preloaded format=etex)
 restricted \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
(./txiversion.tex
! I can't find file `texinfo.tex'.
l.1 \input texinfo.tex
                       @bye
(Press Enter to retry, or Control-D to exit)
Please type another input file name:
! Emergency stop.
l.1 \input texinfo.tex
                       @bye