Using a macro makes pdfetex quits and exits with bad status

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Using a macro makes pdfetex quits and exits with bad status
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 16:25:21 +0200

> Sent: Friday, June 25, 2021 at 1:26 AM
> From: "Patrice Dumas" <pertusus@free.fr>
> To: "Christopher Dimech" <dimech@gmx.com>
> Cc: "Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org>, help-texinfo@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Using a macro makes pdfetex quits and exits with bad status
>
> On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 03:12:30PM +0200, Christopher Dimech wrote:
> >
> > Have been running the development version of texi2pdf with the following
> > command.
> >
> > /home/hagbard/Admir/bin/texinfo/bin/texi2pdf 06a-amcoh.texi
> >
> > bin/tex/texinfo has been created and includes tekinfo.text as expected
> >
> > But, I get smacked with this message
> >
> > /home/hagbard/Admir/bin/texinfo/bin/texi2pdf: 37:
> > /home/hagbard/Admir/bin/texinfo/bin/texi2pdf: texi2dvi: not found
> >
> > I do have texi2dvi in /home/hagbard/Admir/bin/texinfo/bin/
> >
> > Looks like texi2pdf is looking for texi2dvi somewhere else.
>
> texi2dvi and texi2pdf (and texi2any, info and other installed
> scripts/binaries) are installed classically, based on ./configure
> options, use of DESTDIR...  So my guess is that if texi2pdf is in
> /home/hagbard/Admir/bin/texinfo/bin/, texi2dvi is there too.

Correct, texi2dvi is there too.  Then, how am I getting this?

/home/hagbard/Admir/bin/texinfo/bin/texi2pdf: texi2dvi: not found

doing ls gives

hagbard@fuckup:
+ ~/01cuneus/tdr/06ch
ls /home/hagbard/Admir/bin/texinfo/bin/
info          makeinfo     pod2texi  texi2any  texi2pdf  texinfo-js
install-info  pdftexi2dvi  tex       texi2dvi  texindex