help-tar

[Help-tar] GNU tar and/on Windows server

From: Mike Pepe
Subject: [Help-tar] GNU tar and/on Windows server
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 23:27:08 -0800

Greetings- I'm not sure if I'm going to find anyone who has tried this, but
I hope someone may have a pointer as to what may be going on.

I'm trying to back up data to a tape drive attached to a Windows 2012
server. When I attempt to do this with the version of tar supplied in
unxutils, I get this error:

C:\temp>tar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.12

Copyright (C) 1988, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Written by John Gilmore and Jay Fenlason.

C:\temp>tar cvf \\.\Tape0 .
tar: Cannot open \\.\Tape0: Invalid argument

As an experiment, the tar in Cygwin does actually work:

$ tar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.26
Packaged by Cygwin (1.26-1)
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.

Written by John Gilmore and Jay Fenlason.

address@hidden ~
$ tar cvf /dev/st0 /cygdrive/c/temp
tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
/cygdrive/c/temp/
.

In the past, long ago, I did use the "native" tar, and it worked. I've done
quite a bit of searching and haven't come up with another option thus far.
If anyone has any pointers, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

-Mike