help-tar

Re: [Help-tar] tar | gzip problems

From: cooch17
Subject: Re: [Help-tar] tar | gzip problems
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 13:09:19 -0700 (PDT)

Piotr Szlązak wrote:

> Hi!
> Try using gzip -c:
> nohup tar cvpf -  . | gzip -9 -c > /directory/of/interest/files.tar.gz &
>
> Regards,
> Piotrek

I ended up going with tar -cvpzf files.tar.gz *

which does the trick without any problems. I got a long answer on why my
original code didn't work:

'piping' was never the problem.  The command below (tar cz...) also
uses pipes (you just don't see/type them).

The problem is taring up files (compressed or not) to a tarball *in the
same directory* as the files you are taring up and using '.' as your
source.  Using a '*' (shell wildcard) 'avoids' the problem, but adds
others (missed hidden files, etc.) -- it is *often* a mistake to use
shell wildcards with commands like tar (esp. a bare '*').  The proper
solution is either:

A) put your tarball someplace other than where you are tarring up:

tar czvf /tmp/files.tar.gz .

B) use the --exclude option to exclude the tarball being created:

tar czvf files.tar.gz . --exclude files.tar.gz