help-tar

[Help-tar] backup with tar, find

From: Ned2
Subject: [Help-tar] backup with tar, find
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2007 15:52:48 -0000

Hi everybody!
I am trying to back up some files (documents, pics) with tar.
Using the following command I encountered two problems:
1- Why is the resulting tar file actually larger than the files themselves?
(-z
doesn't help much either)
2- Why despite using mtime or even ctime with find I still see almost(?)
all files being included in the tar file?

find /home/ -ctime -1 -print0 | xargs -0 tar -cvvzf mybackup.tar.gz

Any help appreciated
Ned

tar (GNU tar) 1.16