help-tar

[Help-tar] Difficulty with multi-volume archives

From: David Leangen
Subject: [Help-tar] Difficulty with multi-volume archives
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 10:01:33 +0900

Hello!

I am attempting to create a multi-volume archive, writing to disk rather than to a tape device.

I am using the command:

 % tar cvf outfile.tar -M -L sizeKb

The goal is to create a series of files I can record to a set of CDs.

When the program asks me to prepare the next tape, I simply switch to a different shell and copy the current outfile.tar to, for example, outfile.tar.01, outfile.tar.02, and so on. The process is the reverse when restoring from the archive.

The problem is that I'm facing is that, at some point, the program is telling me that it cannot find the file on the next archive. I generally get at least a few disks successfully restored until I eventually come across this problem.

Is there something else I need to consider here? For instance, do long file names cause a problem? Is there something else I'm missing?