help-stow

Re: [Help-stow] hard or soft

From: Gaël Roualland
Subject: Re: [Help-stow] hard or soft
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 14:11:28 +0200

Frank Van Damme a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> stow seems to have switched from soft to hard links, or does so at random -
> why?

Are you sure ???

> dionysos:/usr/local/stow# stow directfb-0.9.17/
> dionysos:/usr/local/stow# ls -l /usr/local/include/directfb
> directfb           directfb-internal
> dionysos:/usr/local/stow# ls -l /usr/local/include/directfb/
> total 176
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     staff         227 Apr  4 15:52 dfb_types.h
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     staff      129348 Apr  4 15:52 directfb.h
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     staff       26433 Apr  4 15:52 directfb_keyboard.h
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     staff       13122 Apr  4 15:52 directfb_keynames.h

What you show here is that the directfb subdirectory include is probably
present only in directfb-0.9.17, so instead of creating a directory and
populating it with links to a signle package, it creates a link to the
directory. Hence the real files when you list it (and the refcount of 1
on the files shows they're actually not hard links)

> I just had to manually remove dozens of files because I removed the directory
> under /usr/local/stow before unstowing.

Only symlinks imho,since there are no calls to link in stow... So if you
happened to really have hardlinks, they must have appeared by other
means I guess.

Gaël.

--
Gaël Roualland -+- address@hidden