help-smalltalk

Re: Is GNU Smalltalk dead?

From: Sam Lee
Subject: Re: Is GNU Smalltalk dead?
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 09:50:59 +0000

On 2021-11-13 09:38 +0100, stes@PANDORA.BE wrote:
> VisualGST still compiles for me on Solaris 11.4 by the way.

I see. I am using Debian and Ubuntu. VisualGST has not worked on Debian
and Ubuntu in nearly a decade:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnu-smalltalk/+bug/995016

> I think the original approach of GNU Smalltalk was rather to use GNU
> emacs as its code browser.

Good to know. Will I be missing out on lots of GNU Smalltalk's ecosystem
and features if I do not use Emacs? I know how to use Emacs but it is
not something I prefer.

IMO, dependence on GNU Emacs is bad for the language because of high
barrier to entry for beginners (they need to learn the language +
implementation + Emacs).

> Other Smalltalk implementations can be complementary.
>
> I think that GNU smalltalk is rather for more command-line oriented
> (and GNU emacs) style of software development.

Yes, I noticed the command line focus of GNU Smalltalk. That's why I
found it attractive. However, the lack of continued development is
rather worrying.