Re: RCS Keywords - Why not "Description" ?

From: Eric Marceau
Subject: Re: RCS Keywords - Why not "Description" ?
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 17:09:23 -0400

Hi Aaron,

Thank you for responding.

I have in the past created my own prefix "##Descr: " but that it was an oversight by those who originally conceived RCS that they should include a KEYWORD for that, as previously mentionned, similar to the "$Log: " because it could be a multi-line description.

The number of scripts/files is getting to the point that

1) I can't remember what they are all intended for, so I need a memory aid/prompt to remind me of the functionality/scope (i.e. the Description content); and

2) I would like to visually scan or text search a single web page displaying a table containing the program/file name and its intended purpose (aka the Description content).

I've stored those tools in different places over the years, and want to streamline by consolidating into one location (directory) to simplify maintenance, as I delve into this health-driven prolog project.

I have no desire to store the information into another system, only to try keeping things straight, but want to use a tool to auto-generate that index page by scanning for the "Description" in the "active" file in my bin, rather than parsing the larger files in RCS, because RCS contains "dormant" files for which there is no "active" image in my bin, but which are tracked by a separate script/index and extracted when I might need to harvest a previous method/code for re-use.

I hope that clarifies my purpose or intent, and explains why having the KEYWORD functionality would be preferrable in that context.

Thank you,

Eric

P.S. (off-topic) If anyone out there knows of any good, public-domain, prolog predicate libraries with source-code in text form (preferrably not books/papers/theses in scanned form), I would greatly appreciate getting those leads. I am just starting the project, have many pdfs of books and papers, visited many sites, but most seem to have proprietary APIs rather than open-source.  I won't raise this question again. EAJM